Thursday 19 November 2009

Bootcamp Vs Pilates - Which One Wins?


Hey everyone,

Iam sitting here writing this after just participating in one of my Bootcamp workouts and am feeling awesome, so I just wanted to share something with you that has really been bugging me for quite some time now.

Last week I was training one of my private clients when the topic of Pilates came up during conversation.

To put you in the picture, my client has been with me for about 9 months during which time she has lost around 17 pounds, has improved on her muscle tone and shape and her fitness levels have gone through the roof.

She also attends one of my Bootcamp workouts a week aswell.

Along with this she also attends a pilates class with another local instructor.

So anyway, we were halfway through the workout and as she was resting in between sets my client turned to me (whilst getting her breath back of course!)and said: "The Pilates Instructor hates Bootcamp, and doesn't want anyone doing it."

At this point, I looked at her and said: "okay, and why's that?" with a puzzled look on my face.

"She said yesterday that it causes injury and it doesn't focus on core stability."

I was amazed when I heard this and couldn't believe that a fellow professional with well over 15 years experience in the fitness industry had made such an outrageous claim.

Here was my detailed answer to my client and this statement that I wanted to share with you.

Firstly,

You CANNOT compare the Two classes. Each class focuses on different components of fitness!

Depending on what style of class you go to, Pilates generally focuses on balance,flexibility core stability and motor skills.

The exact opposite to Bootcamp! No One said Bootcamp focuses on Core Stability!

There might be a small portion of the workout dedicated to core work and flexibilty but that's not the soul purpose of the session.

Bootcamp workouts focus on Fat Loss.

The aim of each Bootcamp session (or 'circuit training' to use another phrase)is to create Metabolic Disturbance (meaning how many calories you'll burn long after the workout finishes.The minute instructors start focusing on core stability and balance during a Bootcamp workout then it becomes a Pilates class.

So to compare the 2 classes in the first place is actually ridiculous because they both work on different components of fitness.

Secondly,

To say Bootcamp workouts cause injury is just plain dim!


I've been teaching Bootcamp style workouts for well over 10 years and I can genuinely say that this simply isn't true. Come to think of it, I can't think of one serious injury in my class during those 10 years.

I've always said (and still do)that attending some kind of Pilates or Yoga class will benefit you massively in the long run and will undoubtedley compliment your Bootcamp workouts nicely.

The key is to get a balance with your fitness.

If you like attending classes and like to work in a group then combining Bootcamp with Pilates or Yoga is the perfect match and should definitely be considered if you want a balanced fitness program.

and thirdly,

If we avoid Bootcamp Style Workouts completely, how else are we to burn calories?

If it was down to our "local instructor", she would have us all doing Pilates, which is great but what about metabolic disturbance, what about burning calories, what about working on our stamina, strength and endurance?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disrepect Pilates and I'm certainly not suggesting that Bootcamp is the ONLY way to train, but what I am saying is that we simply can't compare the two classes.

One simply isn't better than the other!

The moral of the story?

Let's ditch the outrageous claims and stop the "Bootcamp Bashing" because without Bootcamp, you may NEVER burn bodyfat.

There's a thought!

Okay, my rant is over and I hope I've made my point.

I'd love to hear what you have to say on this subject. Do I make a good point or am I way off line?


>>> Write your thoughts in the comment section below <<<

2 comments:

sacha whitehad said...

I have to agree with you Sam. Each type of exercise has it's place. I love both equally and in an ideal world would alternate both bootcamp (for the fat loss and fun) and pilates for flexibility (and relaxation). I did years of pilates however had instant results with your bootcamp.

SAM WINKWORTH said...

Thanks for the support sach! = >